“Why I love Pizza….it is always a perfect canvas for exploration, flavors and creativity. There doesn’t have to be any rules, however, using high quality ingredients is always the best way to approach it though. Although there aren’t any very strict rules, I prefer simplicity for my pizza’s. Usually only 2 – 4 toppings including the cheese.
On this pizza day, we made a few pizza’s using different ingredients, bases and cheese.
Cheese – we used Caciocavera Fresh for most of the pizza’s, but used only Pecorino Romano for the Sicilian Sfincione style pizza we made.
The Base – we used d.o.p. san marzano tomatoes on most of the pizza’s. I like to always make at least one bianco pizza that has only evoo as the base. We also used fig jam for one of the pizza’s. Again creativity is why I love pizza.
- Tomato, Bottega Ditalia Salsiccia, Sliced Green Olives, Caciocavera
- Tomato, Bottega Ditalia Salsiccia, Sauteed Onions (carmelized), Caciocavera
- Tomato, Sliced Prosciutto di Parma, Sauteed Onions (carmelized),
- Tomato, Bottega Ditalia Salsicca, Volpi Pepperoni, Caciocavera
- Tomato, Semidried Cherry Tomatoes, Radici of Tuscany Artichokes, Caciocavera
- EVOO, Sliced Prosciutto di Parma, Sauteed Onions (carmelized), sliced green olives, Caciocavera
- Fig Jam, Sliced Prosciutto di Parma, Goat Cheese
- Anchovies, Garlic, Tomato, Pecorino Romano, Seasoned Breadcrumbs, EVOO for Finishing”
250 grams Caputo 00 Chef Flour (about 2 cups)
- Dissolve yeast in the warm water w/ the sugar.
- In the stand mixer bowl – add the cool water and dissolved yeast
- With the mixer on slow speed (w the paddle installed) add about 1/3 or so of the flour and mix (increasing the speed) for a minute or two, until a smooth “batter” forms. This helps to develop the Gluten in the dough.
- Add remaining flour and salt. Once the dough comes together, switch to a dough hook and use a slow/med speed to kneed the dough for 8-10 minutes.
Brian can provide you a recipe for the dough, it is his recipe. It uses Caputo 00 Flour.